List Archives

the Stipe influence

  • Subject: the Stipe influence
  • From: "Richard" <richard@li...net.au>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 20:17:47 +1100

  Interesting comments Aaron.

Quite a few REM tracks remind me of Aeroplanes material (and vice versa),
guess its all part of the collective unconciousness. REM didnt do any
Aeroplanes tracks live as far as i know but they did join the band for
Breaking at the end of the set once or maybe twice. Also Stipe had a habit
of reading out a list of his favourite tunes of all time during one of
their
songs, and at the Hammersmith gig i saw he included "What it Is" on that
list. Terrific! There was a malicious rumour (someone at the NME really
didnt like the band) that the tour agency made a mistake and it was really
band called Blue Rodeo that REM wanted to support. But i dont believe it,
the two bands were perfect compliments. Incidentally, has anyone ever seen
REM biog that mentions Michael Stipe's appearance on What it Is? I havent.
Why not?