List Archives

RE: Blueplanes Digest, Vol 12, Issue 34

  • Subject: RE: Blueplanes Digest, Vol 12, Issue 34
  • From: "Kirby, Jason" <J.R.Kirby@lj...ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 10:12:22 +0100

> From: "Tom Berry" <tomberry@sp...co.uk>
> Subject: [Blueplanes] No Thread, Substance or anything
> To: <blueplanes@st...net>

> The RA debate is dead interesting. Is he not an official
> member anymore??? I've enjoyed some of his contributions,
> however I have noted his 'strops' on stage during/post gig. I
> don't know about other planes other than Angelo who was
> really nice after a gig at the Hope Centre, as well as John
> Langley and Jon Wygens at the Fiddlers in Bedminster who were
>
> I never saw Bob Bradley, Susie Hug, Dave Newton or the Larder
> Sisters, on stage  which I am pissed about as Mr Helm really
> raves about Dave Newton.

Rodney wasn't the only Aeroplane capable of throwing his rattle out of the
cot. Gerard lost it once before going on stage at Glastonbury (think it
was the '92 show which was recorded for Radio and available on various
CD's) - something about being 5 minutes delayed and having to take a song
out of the set - and promptly threw a chair out of a portacabin window. I
thought this very rock 'n' roll at the time but less so Michael Eavis who
promptly banned the band from appearing again. Gerard apologied some years
later and the band played again 5 or 6 years after the incident.

I saw Bob Bradly live once. I recall Gerard raving about this 18 year old
hendrix guitar genius. He was only in the band a short while and I
personally thought his contribution was minimal. He improvised lots of the
solos of existing songs on stage which I thought was unnecessary showing
off, and frankly, not as good as the original lick written by Angelo or
whoever. I always thought that Susie Hug and Dave Newton never looked
interested but perhaps that's just me.

Finally I'll add my Rodney bit. I became an Aeroplanes fan after following
Rodney on the local gig circuit in the late 80's so you can guess my
biased opinion. But I did think some songs were a bit meek (never got
Careful Boy at all) but others great pop songs (Fun, Different Now, etc).
I do now think that perhaps his best contribution was co-songwriting and
adding backing melody to the tracks which you can't really deny does add
an extra dimension to the songs. Your Ages is bliss and I really like the
vocals on Sugared Almond (which are upped in the mix on the CD single
which makes it worth it just for that). And don't forget he wrote the
opening riff on Broken and Mended so he can play a mean guitar when he
wants to. I can't see where he fits into the band while Gerard Starky is
in the line up.

Cheers

Jason