List Archives

King Tut's

  • Subject: King Tut's
  • From: "phil mason" <phillmason@br...com>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 01:03:39 +0100

I was slightly apprehensive about tonight's gig, not least as I had persuaded some BAs (almost-)virgin friends along. I thought that for the sake of nostalgia and duty to my long-lost younger self, I might have had to forgive them for a slightly embarrasing not-match-fit performance by some slightly middle-aged former art-rockers. Glad to say I was very wrong. They were quite a compelling balance of tightness teetering on the edge of joyful chaos. It has been many years since I flung my limbs around at a gig in an abandoned imitation of something remotely resembling "dancing", and it was great fun. My t-shirt will never be dry again. The set was the same as for the Mean Fiddler (it's definitely Part 9 of Cavaliers, by the way - and it's splendidly squally: don't believe the detractors!). As with any gig at King Tut's, it is obligatory to lament the appalling sound, although tonight was far from the worst I've known. It seems to me that the fewer people there are in the audience the clearer the sound is at this venue, and it was about half full tonight. Thus, for a band that pivots around Gerard's delivery, it's astonishing that that was the one thing that was consistently lost in the mix. If you didn't already know what he was saying, you would never have been able to work it out, for the most part. Sorry I didn't manage to meet Nick - it was darker in there than I thought...

G'night all...

Phil (one of many)