List Archives

Re: BA's at Harbourside Festival!

  • Subject: Re: BA's at Harbourside Festival!
  • From: Ewan Milne <ewan.milne@bt...com>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 13:21:51 +0100

Nick Walters wrote:

PS: Nick - the bloke who shouted "Oi Nick" whilst parking a motorbike as you cycled past on Temple Back was me!

Oh, I wondered who that was!

Weirdly enough, as I was waiting stage front for the 'Planes set to kick off, I overheard two guys behind me talking about this incident, and thus bumped into Paul and Nick for the first time. Hi chaps, it was a pleasure to meet you, and you were most friendly to this stranger butting in on your conversation. Paul, hope you made it to Massive Attack okay, and that it was a good gig too.

As for the BAs - a great set in somewhat unusual circumstances. It's already been noted that they were second on the bill to a Madness tribute band (who I did not hang around for), and the audience was not just a mix of music fans, but as far as I could tell, a pretty good sprinkling of passing Harbour Festival goers too. I couldn't help wondering what some of them made of the art'n'poetry'n'rock'n'roll coming from the stage....

But the band showed no signs of going through the motions in their half-hour mid-afternoon slot. Kicking off with three Altitude songs - okay four if you count the Bristol Byzantium intro, then into Raise The Roof High, Tree Full of Starlings and Beautiful Is. "...Starlings" was enhanced by a youthful violin player (and the rest of the set was rather enhanced by her just standing stage front, ahem).

Then there was a quick delve through the back catalogue: Jacket Hangs, Days of 49, The Applicant, possibly something else? - but of course, ending in traditional style with Breaking In My Heart. The sound was pretty rough right up by the stage, with the vocals barely discernible, but it sounded great from further back.

Throughout, Gerard seemed like he was enjoying himself, and the band too. First time I've seen this line-up (in fact first time I've seen them without Rodney or Wojtek), but they seemed pretty tight and together - a real band rather a pick-up set of musos. I guess the core members' other band helps a lot here.

Been a few years since I saw them (to be honest, I'd kind of stopped attending the Xmas shows), but I'll have to catch them again soon.

Cheers,
Ewan