List Archives

Record Player

  • Subject: Record Player
  • From: "gordon" <dwilhelmi@ti...co.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 23:06:24 +0100

  This really is a brilliant piece.

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Philip Rush
    Sent: Saturday, April 29, 2006 8:13 AM
    Subject: Re: [Blueplanes] Re: Altitude Review by Michael Stipe...

    I may be unique (I doubt it) but I think the Blue Aeroplanes' support
of REM did more for me to move me in the direction of REM than any
endorsement by REM of the Blue Aeroplanes might do in the opposite
direction.

    So, it's nice to see Mr Stipe speaking on the same lines.  I quite
like 10,000 Maniacs, too, and wasn't there something brief between Stipe
and Natalie Merchant?  He certainly mixes with the stars, that one.

    I like the way Altitude loops round with the bleeps and dollops thing.
 I also find it much better loud.  Perhaps too much better, if you take my
meaning.

    Perhaps it lacks a structural integrity.  I think we can all recognise
the sessions and the years when these tracks were recorded.  I remember
(vaguely) a gig in a different venue in Bristol - big pub, beer, picnic
style tables, warehouse sort of place in the docks (could be anywhere) -
where the Aeros included the Larder sisters and a rather overdressed
Angelo.  They did a whole set really of new stuff, just a few old faves,
which I have never really been able to identify since.  But I now think
some of Altitude was aired on that occasion.

    On the other hand, well, an album should be just that, an album.

    I am already looking forward to the live tracks from towards the end
of the tour, and the next album.  Still think the Aeros must be unique in
the rock world for not actually existing.  Even the 'contemporary' photo
on the Altitude booklet is inaccurate (isn't it?).

    Philip