List Archives

Re: Altitude Review by Michael Stipe...

  • Subject: Re: Altitude Review by Michael Stipe...
  • From: "Mike Melville" <mike@me...freeserve.co.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 22:50:45 +0100

 I thought this quote from Stipe on Swagger was interesting (
www.remhq.com )

"I had always wanted to do a dylanesque, or lou reed type vocal on a
song[hear it in 'end of the world...' or 'belong']but never felt that I
could pull it off in an r.e.m. song; having toured with blue aeroplanes
through part of May of 1989, I think it gave me the unconscious courage to
go for it in what has become one of my favorite r.e.m. songs of all time,
'e-bow the letter'."

Funnily enough I'd never thought of E-Bow as being in any way BA
influenced (sort of) but I did always think 'Departure' from the same
record was heavily indebted to the Aeroplanes.

Took him a while in any case - from the '89 tour to a record released in
'96!

Mike M