List Archives

Re: Borderline

  • Subject: Re: Borderline
  • From: "Paul Vallis" <paulvallis@ho...com>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 16:31:59 +0000
  • Bcc:

An excellent night indeed - well worth the trip up from Bristol.

The set was Swagger - all of it - in order. Most of it worked too! 2 tracks had evidently never been performed live before. They even wheeled out a sax player for Anti-Pretty (either she was a friend, a fan, or EMI must have been paying. Or I'm just getting very cynical, as well as old and cantakerous, in my old age.) A couple of songs were a little loose, Anti-Pretty probably being the worst offender. No-one fancied taking on the ridiculously intricate, Angelo-showing-off guitar intro to And Stones (I thought they might get Kearey to do it on a banjo, as Joff did a few years back) but it still rocked.

The encores were a magnificent, Nick Jacobs-led Razorwalk, Different Now and the inevitable riot that is Breaking In My Heart. 88 Out was also on the encore set list but presumably was dropped due to time constraints. Darn it! Nick obviously wanted to run around, as per the old days, but the dimensions of the stage meant that all he could do was swap places with Woytek a couple of times and swing his guitar over Gerard's head every time he ducked down.

The rest of the band was John Langley, Joe Allen, Max Noble, Julian Poole, Rodney and Ian Kearey looking like he was having a ball on mandolin. No idea who the MC was though - sorry Gordon! I thought Bill Cargill was going to be involved, as I think he played on one of the recent radio outings. Perhaps he'll be taking Rodney's place on the tour?

Lovely to finally meet Lisa (she is NOT Gerard, it is now official), not to mention Nathaniel, James, Christian, assorted Phils, several large friendly Norwegians and a couple of others whose names elude my memory at the moment. Who else did I meet?! And who did I miss? Was my lime green t-shirt not loud enough?

Gerard was talking afterwards (we just wandered backstage, there didn't seem to be any security!)about getting a Bristol date added on to the tour, but he was thinking of something special, maybe some sort of warehouse party, certainly something at a non-traditional venue. Whether it'll happen I have no idea! He conceded that Fiddlers may be a good fallback, but mentioned maybe playing 2 nights? Not sure if they'd fill it for 2 nights, personally, unless they did a Swagger night (like last night) and an "other stuff" night, which would surely lure a few of us out for both. Hopefully we'll get something sorted - I didn't get home til 2.40am.

I missed most of the supports, unfortunately.

PV1

PS: We parked in an underground multi-storey car park down by Queensway. Loads of amazing cars in there, obviously owned by local residents and left there long term. Several Ferraris, a Dodge Charger, A Cadillac Coupe De Ville, An Aston Martin (though we saw 3 more of those walking from the car to the gig), A lovely old Alfa Spider and, er, a pristine mark 1 Escort.