List Archives

whatever happened to the Bat-napalm...?

  • Subject: whatever happened to the Bat-napalm...?
  • From: Drdaeve@ao...com
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 15:14:37 EST

vearn@wo...co.uk writes:

> Also, am I the only one who listens to the Art Objects LP and, at times,
> thinks...'prog rock'...

....nah, you're not alone there....stuff like 'Passenger of Fortune' &
'Paperweight Flood' are definitely conceptual and also quite naive...as I
remember
the sleeve notes for Bagpipe Music (a sheet of paper which you folded into
little booklet and eventually lost) we were encouraged to regard some of
this
work as poetry with a soundtrack, hence, I suppose, these rather callow
allegorical narrative works...but there are some real crackers though -
Batpoem, What
Am I Supposed To Do? 20th Century Composites...GLEs poetic voice is more
acute
when he's throwing us images & ideas rather than narratives imho.....can
anyone else remember seeing the Art Objects?...in my mind they usually
finished
their set with a dozen guitars thrashing in a full-on frenzy of noise and
chaos...what I can't remember is if it was Breaking in my Heart...first
time I saw
them was at Trinity Hall, drawn in by fly-posters which said Fuck Art,
Let's
Dance...probably 1979...reckon I've seen them at least once in every
calendar
year since...blah blah blah....

As for Fruit, it has made me sceptical of all and any live
recordings...The
BAs have always been blistering whenever I've seen them, so has Fruit only
captured their most ropey performances...? If live performances sound good
when
recorded does that mean they sounded good if you were actually there...?
What is
the provenance of Fruit? Is it 'official' or a sophisticated bootleg? As
an
aside I bought a bootleg of the Psychedelic Furs set at Glastonbury 1986
within
30 minutes of them coming off stage, & it had a printed set list....blah
blah
blah

Whatever happened to the Bat-napalm?

stay cool Friendsloversplanes