List Archives

Re: following on from what edward said

  • Subject: Re: following on from what edward said
  • From: "Paul Vallis" <paulvallis@ho...com>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 11:29:37 +0000

I think when people whinge about Cavaliers its usually about the 2nd CD, not the first.  The first is very short, and the whole package could probably have been shoehorned onto a single CD, but I think that Cavaliers was seen as a separate piece of work to be listened to on its own.  It evidently started life as a track destined for this currently unreleased album that we've been going on about, but it expanded into something that was too big and that didn't really fit in any more, so Gerard released it separately.  I could do with giving it another listen, I must admit. But some of CD2 was, in my humble, not releasable quality.

"Some pub near the docks" sounds like the Fleece.  Can't recall ever seeing them there with Dawn & Baz, but I know I missed at least one Fleece gig in recent years.

Gerard set up (with someone else, I believe) the Artstar Record label and released Record Player and the Radon Daughters "Glow" (which is very good indeed), so why he doesn't bring it out on that label and just sort out a distribution deal I don't know.  Maybe needing a bit more to finance it than he has at his disposal.  Having chatted with ex-plane Hazel Winter about her new album, for which she set up her own record company, it ain't easy and it ain't all that cheap either, although at least with the Aeroplanes there is a bit of history and goodwill attached to the name, which would help oil the wheels of publicity.

The recording has been done in dribs and drabs over the past 5 or so years I think, so I would assume that its been paid for as its been done, but there could be outstanding debts too.

PV1