List Archives

Re: Aeroplanes Xmas Gig 2002 (I'll explane later)

  • Subject: Re: Aeroplanes Xmas Gig 2002 (I'll explane later)
  • From: Nick White <magichats@ya...co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 13:25:49 +0000 (GMT)

Good review NW2 (or NW1).  I also wished they hadn't
displayed the setlist for the whole audience to see.
What were they thinking of?

And Stones (which has never been my favourite BAs
track) with Angelo doing the fiddly bits on guitar was
fantastic.  And Paper Plane did indeed ROCK - not bad
for a Status Quo cover! - as did Love Come Round and
Gunning the Works.  Barfly was a great song - any
chance of Gerard letting Rodney put it on the next
album?

NW1 (or NW2)

 --- Nick Walters <nickw@bl...co.uk> wrote: >
Hello!

> Yes, it was a top Aeroplanes Xmas gig. Time was when
> one would say, "Christmas isn't Christmas without
> Eric and Ernie", but nowadays we say, "Christmas
> isn't Christmas without Rodney and Gerard. And
> Wojtek and [insert whoever is in the band at the
> time]." And Angelo, apparently, though I didn't
> recognise him at all.
>
> Unlike some I didn't have to travel far to get to
> Fiddlers; I merely left my house, walked through
> some dark, cold, dodgy back streets and 15 minutes
> later I was there. Turning up "early" (8.30 isn't
> early for most gigs) again, I sat on my own and
> nursed a pint. There weren't many other people
> there, as I sat there waiting for my friends I heard
> a cello pick up the tune of "Ceiling Roses" which
> somehow intensified my feeling of isolation. Then,
> excitement! Rodney walks past, looks in the bar, and
> then walks away! Then, a strange bloke came over and
> said, "Are you PV1, or PV2?" To which I replied,
> "Neither, I'm NW1, or NW2; I forget which." This was
> Austen, who told me about the "naming children after
> our car" bit. (Pity Gerard can't remember! But then
> he is getting on.)
>
> The place began to fill up as 9.00 approached -
> still no sign of my chums - so I started writing
> some story notes on a Fiddlers flyer and got quite
> into it when they arrived. PV1, or is it 2 (scrolls
> down) ah! It is PV2, aka. Paul Vearncombe, aka. The
> Emperor Ming, walks in, with his girlfriend Laura,
> and Alan and Ruth. Hadn't seen Alan for ages so the
> chat and beer flowed and suddenly it was 11 o'
> clock, and still no sign of the Aeroplanes! Good of
> them to always come on late and allow me to catch up
> with old acquaintances. Though they come on SO late,
> that I'm beginning to suspect that what we're
> actually seeing is the previous year's Xmas gig,
> exactly a year late. (Told you I'd explain later!)
>
> They were brilliant, as usual, and better than last
> year, I think (by which I mean 2001... or do I?). It
> was all a bit sedate at first - I remember the gigs
> of the early 90s at the Fleece and Firkin where the
> death-zone would be raging scrum where bruises,
> broken noses and squashed toes were badges of
> honour. Alan and I, veterans of those Aeroplanes
> death-zones, were mortified. "I'm not pissed
> enough!" moaned Alan. Wife-beater (aka Stella) was
> duly administered, and during "Gunning The Works" (I
> think) Alan sprang into life, and so began a
> modestly sized but nonetheless lively death-zone. A
> headbutt in the nose was recieived during "...And
> Stones" but sadly not enough to draw blood. Still,
> it was great fun!
>
> It was odd seeing the set-list so prominently
> displayed, spoiler-like, on the side of a speaker.
> "Don't look at it", advised Ming, but like the eyes
> of the Gorgon I was unable to look away though was
> not turned into stone (apart from my liver which is
> pretty well calcified). So surprises like Bagpipe
> Music were spoiled for me, though I did have the
> [...]
=== message truncated ===