List Archives

Re: Aeroplanes Xmas Gig 2002 (I'll explane later)

  • Subject: Re: Aeroplanes Xmas Gig 2002 (I'll explane later)
  • From: "Nick Walters" <nickw@bl...co.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 22:57:56 -0000

Hello!

Yes, it was a top Aeroplanes Xmas gig. Time was when one would say,
"Christmas isn't Christmas without Eric and Ernie", but nowadays we say,
"Christmas isn't Christmas without Rodney and Gerard. And Wojtek and
[insert whoever is in the band at the time]." And Angelo, apparently,
though I didn't recognise him at all.

Unlike some I didn't have to travel far to get to Fiddlers; I merely left
my house, walked through some dark, cold, dodgy back streets and 15
minutes later I was there. Turning up "early" (8.30 isn't early for most
gigs) again, I sat on my own and nursed a pint. There weren't many other
people there, as I sat there waiting for my friends I heard a cello pick
up the tune of "Ceiling Roses" which somehow intensified my feeling of
isolation. Then, excitement! Rodney walks past, looks in the bar, and then
walks away! Then, a strange bloke came over and said, "Are you PV1, or
PV2?" To which I replied, "Neither, I'm NW1, or NW2; I forget which." This
was Austen, who told me about the "naming children after our car" bit.
(Pity Gerard can't remember! But then he is getting on.)

The place began to fill up as 9.00 approached - still no sign of my chums
- so I started writing some story notes on a Fiddlers flyer and got quite
into it when they arrived. PV1, or is it 2 (scrolls down) ah! It is PV2,
aka. Paul Vearncombe, aka. The Emperor Ming, walks in, with his girlfriend
Laura, and Alan and Ruth. Hadn't seen Alan for ages so the chat and beer
flowed and suddenly it was 11 o' clock, and still no sign of the
Aeroplanes! Good of them to always come on late and allow me to catch up
with old acquaintances. Though they come on SO late, that I'm beginning to
suspect that what we're actually seeing is the previous year's Xmas gig,
exactly a year late. (Told you I'd explain later!)

They were brilliant, as usual, and better than last year, I think (by
which I mean 2001... or do I?). It was all a bit sedate at first - I
remember the gigs of the early 90s at the Fleece and Firkin where the
death-zone would be raging scrum where bruises, broken noses and squashed
toes were badges of honour. Alan and I, veterans of those Aeroplanes
death-zones, were mortified. "I'm not pissed enough!" moaned Alan.
Wife-beater (aka Stella) was duly administered, and during "Gunning The
Works" (I think) Alan sprang into life, and so began a modestly sized but
nonetheless lively death-zone. A headbutt in the nose was recieived during
"...And Stones" but sadly not enough to draw blood. Still, it was great
fun!

It was odd seeing the set-list so prominently displayed, spoiler-like, on
the side of a speaker. "Don't look at it", advised Ming, but like the eyes
of the Gorgon I was unable to look away though was not turned into stone
(apart from my liver which is pretty well calcified). So surprises like
Bagpipe Music were spoiled for me, though I did have the bonus of
anticpation. Highlights for me: Jack Leaves and Ceiling Roses, two of the
prettiest Aeroplane songs. Paper Plane - which ROCKED! -  fantastic.
Rodney's "Barlfly" is a brilliant song (much better than the plodding
"Frit at Night" which just bores me I'm afraid).

Had to leave pretty promptly afterwards so no chance of a chat with anyone.

Same time next year, then!

Or maybe January?

Nick W