List Archives

Re: 2 tickets for tonight for sale

  • Subject: Re: 2 tickets for tonight for sale
  • From: John Murray <jm60owl@gm...com>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2018 13:38:42 +0000

Great gig I’d say. Very loud. My ears are still ringing away here on
Sunday lunchtime. Maybe it’s just my age...

For the record, I’m a veteran of the bands gigs since the mid-80’s, and I
rate this lineup (inc G.Starkie obviously - dunno if Rodney is going to
feature going forwards?) as one of the very best - Bec and Mike are both
great, punchy guitarists - for me, their work on ‘And stones’ on Friday
night (and during the last tour) was phenomenal.

What I like best about the current band was nicely highlighted on Friday -
there’s a great set of ‘Russian dolls’ nested within the overall
membership (‘fractals’ is how Robert Fripp memorably describes it) - so
you can have a Bec rocker of a song, a Rodney-sung melodic classic (nicely
augmented by Chris on Friday) and Mike also fronting up well too - but
each time they all still classic Blue Aeroplanes!

Also it’s great how so many of the ‘Welcome, Stranger!’ songs have so
quickly become bona fine live classics.

Now let’s have that album out and then a 2019 tour! The band is as vibrant
and essential as it ever was!