List Archives

Re: New Video!!

  • Subject: Re: New Video!!
  • From: Chris Sharp <chris.sharp4@vi...net>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 21:59:09 +0100

Sure!

Here you go:

The Blue Aeroplanes’ unique amalgam of rock, folk, poetry, punk, dance and
art has been an acknowledged influence on a wide range of bands including
REM and Radiohead. Combining pop smarts with serious weirdness, they have
released almost thirty albums on various labels, several of which have
charted in the UK Top 40 and the US Alternative Top 10. Their 1990 album
‘Swagger’ was Rock Album Of The Year in many publications including The
Sunday Times. Ex-members have gone on to play with Massive Attack, Suede,
Placebo, Goldfrapp and Primal Scream, while for many years they shared
multi-instrumentalist Ian Kearey with folk legends the Oyster Band. They
remain the only group to have been banned from The Rainbow Lounge, Lemmy’s
favourite hangout, and been invited to play at the Hay-On-Wye Literary
Festival.

Now comes the release of the band’s twelfth studio album, ‘Welcome,
Stranger!’, recorded by the longest-lasting Aeroplanes line up to date.
Original members Gerard Langley (poet/singer), and John Langley (drummer),
sometimes with Wojtek Dmochowski (dancer), are joined by Gerard Starkie,
formerly the main  man of Witness and an Aeroplane since 2006, Chris Sharp
(bassist and owner of The Fleece venue in Bristol), a band member since
2008, and the more recent additions Bec Jevons (guitarist and front-person
of I Destroy) and guitarist Mike Youe.  John and Mike also play with
Bristol punk legend (and ex-Aeroplane) Rita Lynch, while Gerard is also
Head Of Songwriting at BIMM Bristol, where he was responsible for guiding
the early steps of George Ezra, among others.

Recorded at country house studio Vale by highly-regarded engineer and
musician T.J.Allen (Bat For Lashes), ‘Welcome, Stranger!’ is an instant
art-pop classic,  melodic, riff-laden, driving, humorous, serious,
delicate, furious, a defining statement by a band that refuses nostalgia.
With newer artists such as Courtney Barnett exploring the same
speak-singing, guitar-driven territory The Blue Aeroplanes have defined
since the late Eighties, the band remain both contemporary and relevant.
Lyrical concerns include relationships, the Universe, the death of Lou
Reed, seagulls eating your chips, kids chucking rocks off motorway
bridges, chocolate, the etiquette of x’s, crows and the existential nature
of Elvis Festivals. And what could be more rock ‘n’ roll than that?