List Archives

Re: Bristol Blue Glass

  • Subject: Re: Bristol Blue Glass
  • From: "Paul Vallis" <paulvallis@ho...com>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 07:56:19 +0000
  • Bcc:

Bristol is indeed famous for its blue glass - a very beautiful deep blue indeed. I think there is a small shop selling it on the main road (East Street) in Bedminster on the part of the road rather grandly named Bedminster Parade.. I don't know if its still actually produced there, but I'm sure they could tell you in the shop. Nick on this list lives not far from there. In truth Bedminster is probably more famous for tobacco - there were several huge WD & HO Wills factories there.

From memory the tradition of making blue glass in Bristol died out for many
years. Only very recently was the practice re-started. They had problems as when they went to start making it again they found out that no-one seemed to have actually bothered to actually write down how it was done!

Should I find myself passing the shop between now and 2nd Dec I'll note down the name and see if they have a website. They may or may not be connected with this place http://www.bristolblueglass.com/

PV1