List Archives

RE: More than enough about Sweden

  • Subject: RE: More than enough about Sweden
  • From: "Philip Hendry" <philip.hendry@bb...co.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 11:16:32 +0100

Too much !!!

        -----Original Message-----
        From: blueplanes-admin@st...net [mailto:blueplanes-admin@st...net]
On Behalf Of Philip Rush
        Sent: 25 August 2004 08:12
        To: blueplanes@st...net
        Subject: Re: [Blueplanes] More than enough about Sweden

        The event

        The event is taking place all over town.
        Every viking who can play an instrument
        has been roped in. As one band fades out

        another fades in, like an amateur DJ
        has seized control of the soundtrack of the city.
        At the harbour quay, there is a camp

        destroyer, with miniskirted visitors
        and its gun barrels done up in pink
        cling-film so they're the ultimate

        dildo. Other weird vessels, too,
        including a flat one I really can't read.
        A monitor. And playing on the harbour quay,

        making their own contribution to the event,
        the summer festival of Göteborg (pronounced Yortiborg):
        the Schytts. A tour bus and everything.

        And the vikings do their unique viking dance
        on the specially constructed viking dance floor,
        though an inexpert eye might confuse

        original viking ethnic ballet
        for jiving and straight-up rock and roll,
        which is where the Schytts come in.

        One drunk viking in a white vest
        and a cloud of lager-on-tap breath
        persuades a woman in her fifties to dance with him:

        they bop and canoodle like they're twenty-three again.
        Like it's nineteen sixty-one.
        You do the math.
        We sit with our beers on the long benching
        at the long tables under the long canopy
        at the end of the long summer's long day,

        making sure we make it home before Grendel
        is due in from the boggy moors along the Jönköping road.
        And on the way back to our elegant Swedish

        apartment, every bench has its own Abba.
        Honest. No messing. No question about it.
        When I get back, all being well,

        I'm starting a tribute band to the Schytts.
        I just have to think of a name which really works,
        capturing the spirit of the music but

        with that little touch of irony.

        Guidebooks

        Under the huge sky,
        the Swedes were invisible.
        Just their farms, their toy farms,

        their little collections of plastic buildings
        spray-painted with dark rust paint.
        And their churches,

        every one a backdrop to Ibsen
        or Strindberg. With its rigid
        spire in its dutiful white.

        You could tell just how hypocritical
        the Pastor must be, just by driving
        past. You've seen the film,

        read all the plays, after all.
        At the Swedish Connemara seaside,
        following our picnic,

        of course we looked out for the willowy
        blondes we'd read about.
        100% nude.

        We found forty-seven fat old women
        with varicose veins and complicated swimsuits
        which combined modesty with built in prostheses

        and life-support systems. And there were big, floppy
        jellyfish in the water ballooning
        and puffing as if they were out of breath.

        They splashed to the edge of the shallows,
        the fat women,
        and watched the chemical works on the horizon from there.

        In the cities, the streets were filthy
        as a docker's Y-fronts.
        There were four rats running round

        the Cathedral precinct.

        A glimpse of eastern Europe

        By the iron gates to the park,
        for which the town council
        makes a small admission charge,
        this elegant café, nestling under the trees,

        roped off, is where the agents meet,
        where contact is made over chocolate,
        where the jackdaws busy themselves
        with the left-overs and the pastry crumbs.

        And this is where the lovers wait.
        He wears his best brown suit.
        The trouser legs conceal his one pair
        of leather shoes. She wears lipstick.

        They talk in code. They have made
        themselves sad by remembering
        the future and anticipating the past.
        One day he will spell it out

        in that sad pause between asking
        for the reckoning and paying up.
        'It's for the best,' he will say, and her eyes
        will turn towards the rose garden.

        She will be able to see the palm house
        and the warden's villa;
        the brown paint of the Lagerhuset