List Archives

(no subject)

  • Subject: (no subject)
  • From: Ally Macinnes <allymacinnes@ya...co.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:03:34 +0100 (BST)

Hi everyone,

Just a little story I thought I would share with you
all. Back in January 1990 my brother and I became
aware of the Blue Aeroplanes after seeing the Jacket
Hangs promo on the Chart Show. My brother was 17 and I
was 14. We are from a small island on the Isle Of
Lewis called Great Bernera (see if you can find it on
your maps!) Luckily we had a vcr and recorded the clip
but then proceeded to wear it out with constant
replaying! Shortly after that there was the appearance
on Snub TV with live clips and Gerard being
interviewed which we also recorded. We very quickly
became big fans and wanted to find out more. We were
aware of the Swagger LP which we bought (well my
brother paid for it!) and wanted to find out about
previous LP's. My brother decided the best way to get
this information was to phone Gerard himself! He
called a few Langley's in the Bristol area including
Gerard's mother who told my brother how proud she was
of Gerard and John! She gave my brother Gerard's
number and eventually he got a hold of him. Gerard
told my brother he was in the middle of watching
Inspector Morse! My brother asked him for a
discography which he kindly gave with the record
labels that released them. Since then we have acquired
all the Aeroplanes records available and also a few
singles/ep's. I have to say I am still a big fan of
all the records from Bop Art to Cavaliers, there were
a couple of disappointing moments on Life Model and
Rough Music but they also have their great moments. I
think the first side of Cavaliers is the best original
material they have released since Beatsongs. I'm still
waiting patiently for new material and I haven't been
fortunate enough to hear new tracks like Raise The
Roof High but from what you guys are saying I think
the new album will be worth the wait when it is
eventually released! I've always wondered to this day
if Gerard remembers that call from my brother! My
brother and I used to joke that Gerard wrote Talkin'
On The Otherphone about that conversation but probably
not! Are there any other fans out there from remote
parts of the world that nobody has ever heard of!? I
also have to say that I enjoyed reading Richard Bell's
stories from the old days, very interesting.

Ally