List Archives

New Solo Album from Ex-'Plane

  • Subject: New Solo Album from Ex-'Plane
  • From: "Paul Vallis" <paulvallis@ho...com>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:36:29 +0000

Just to let y'all know, former 'plane Hazel Winter releases her 2nd solo album "Death Row Bride" this week.  Its available through independent record shops (though you may have to order it - distribution is by Shellshock), Amazon and directly from Hazel - go to www.hazelwinter.co.uk .

You'll probably remember Hazel - she did the Beatsongs tour round Europe and Scandinavia and plays on Life Model and odd tracks on Friendloverplane 2 (writing credits on Smart Drug and Otherphone), was in the videos for Boy in the Bubble and Yr Own World, and played various major European festivals with the band including Roskilde, Reading and Glastonbury (Pyramid Stage 1992).

Death Row Bride has had great reviews in all sorts of places:

Q  ("the west country's first lady of noirish country blues")
Rocksound  ("the sound of unhinged ferocity...tempered with the kind of reserve you'd find from, say, Kristin Hersch")
Logo  ("a thoroughly disturbing, thoroughly compelling listen") http://www.logo-magazine.com/albums/display.asp?AlbumID=2116
Kerrang  ("minimal and dischordant.... best of all is Hazel's provincial non-singing northern voice picking at death/love metaphors like scabs that won't be left alone")
What's On London  ("goddess-like spikiness")
Bristol Views  ("hauntingly melodic... gut-wrenchingly dischordant")
Venue  ("Livid punk blues and eerie ballads... fabulous")

Thoroughly recommended by me too!  I've had a pre-release copy for a while dating back to some radio shows I was doing in Bristol last year, and I think its better than Put Away The Sharp Knives, her debut from 2000.  Gets played alot chez moi.

Upcoming gigs include:
Frome Cheese & Grain this Saturday 21st Feb
Oxford Portmahon Sat 28th Feb

PV1

Find out more about the new range of Premium Web services from MSN. Click here for more information. _______________________________________________ The Blue Aeroplanes Mailing List http://www.blueaeroplanes.com/ Post: Blueplanes@st...net Subscribe/Unsubscribe/Info: http://lists.sthomas.net/mailman/listinfo/blueplanes