List Archives

RE: vintage Langley on CD.....

  • Subject: RE: vintage Langley on CD.....
  • From: "Paul Vallis" <paulvallis@ho...com>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 21:34:40 +0000

I have a copy of said Western Stars album, and its quite good on the whole, although it is a bit patchy in parts as you might expect.  Its a collection of tracks by Bristol bands from the late 70's and early 80's.  Those of you who are in Bristol might be interested to know that I spied a couple of copies in the 2nd hand section of Replay Records in between the Bear Pit and the Bus Station last time I was in there.  Pretty cheap too.

The Art Objects track is very proto-Aeroplanes, and has quite a political lyric.  Not sure I'd agree with the "savage apocalyptic guitar frenzy" description but it does kick off eventually!  The Various Artists track is more poppy and has a very early 80's sound, very listenable.  Stealing what sounds like the first bar of the Byrds "Feel A Whole Lot Better" before veering off in a different direction was always likely to grab my attention!  They've been remastered ("lovingly" according to the sleeve notes!) and its been put together by SugarShack records, who are excellent in all other respects, and it sounds fine.  I'm not sure if the original production on a couple of the tracks stands the test of time, but its an interesting album.

PV1