List Archives

Re: Nev's party

  • Subject: Re: Nev's party
  • From: "Hein Hurkmans" <viewblue@xs...nl>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 21:44:38 +0100

A great evening it really was. Nice venue and a wonderful atmosphere. I
guess there is mo better way to celebrate your 40th birthday than having
the aeroplanes to rock you towards the end of the first day of your
fourties. Nev, you absolutely made me forget about Wojtek's absence with
your wild dancing and backing vocals in "Breaking..." I even spoke shortly
to a fellow Dutchman, presently living in Shrewsbury. He seemed to have
attended the same show at the Amsterdam Paradiso way back in 1991...it's a
small world after all. Hopefully the announced cd is really going to be
released somewhere later this year, as there are too many good new songs
that don't deserve some anonymous life (Raise the roof high, Surreal thing
etc..). And a concert on the continent would be more than welcome also.
But, it's nice to see them play unfamiliar venues like the Buttermarket.
Shrewsbury and the Shropshire area really were  impressive. We visited
some small picturesque places, and made a few long walks through the
lovely countryside
(inspecting the rural Shropshire landscape...cause I'm being mad about
agriculture (ha ha).
I returned to Amsterdam only on Sunday, having the knowledge that the next
few months the energy of the Shrewsbury gig will linger on in my brain and
body, hardly any other band being able to evoke a similar state of
excitement (well, tomorrow it's up to "South San Gabriel", some alt.
country group from USA).
And maybe this weekend one fine Norwegian band bashing on barrels, playing
some exciting kind of "hoompa" music will play here...yes I guess this
Kaizers Orchestra was one of the 2003 surprises for me.
Cheers!

Hein