List Archives

John Martyn

  • Subject: John Martyn
  • From: "Phil Mason" <philmason@br...com>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 12:55:44 -0000

> I seem to recall a similar situation many years ago when John Martyn
> could not get a label interested
> and so released his albums (before cd's) from his home. Not sure how
> successful this was, but he is still around and to critical acclaim.
It's hard to work out what's what with JM's discography --there seem to be
more compilations of his work than there ever were original albums-- but a
lot of this stuff is of live performances, mostly of songs he's been doing
since as early as the 70s, and, in my experience, very sloppily produced.
He
has similarities with the BAs - indubitably top-notch contributions to the
world of music, apparently quite fond of a tipple, debatably past his
creative peak, allegedly trading on former glories, and definitely spot-on
in choice of saxophonist Andy Shepherd. However, even despite his recent
broken neck and leg-amputation he cannot be accused of not performing to
his
public regularly.

Phil (not sure which number, though)