List Archives

Gerard on the radio

  • Subject: Gerard on the radio
  • From: "Paul Vallis" <paulvallis@ho...com>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 19:48:29 +0000

The interview with Gerard went really well.  Would be interested to hear from anyone who heard it.  It was allegedly working on the web, but I've not tried it as I don't have my PC set up to listen to at the moment.

Gerard brought along the new Aeroplanes album and we played 2 tracks from it - Raise The Roof High and another song with a reference to Sparrows in the title, which features the sound of sparrows as recorded by Gerard in Victoria Park!  The album is still untitled, but the bits I heard sounded excellent.  Unfortunately Gerard took the copy away with him, so I haven't had a chance to listen to any more, although Gerard hinted that I may get the chance at some point!

We also played a couple of Planes classics - Jacket Hangs, Broken & Mended, Bury Your Love Like Treasure and finished with Yr Own World.  In between we also played Had It All, Lost It.... and the Neruda / Love piece from LIT.  We talked a lot in between, going back right to the start of the Aeroplanes and looking forward to the future.  Some excellent anecdotes as well.  Gerard seemed to warm up as we went along and I'm not sure how long we went on for but including all the songs it can't have been far off an hour.  I have recording of the interview, although there will be a small gap in it as the mini-disc came to an end and I had to wait until the next track was playing to put a new one in.  I haven't listened to it yet, mainly as I don't actually possess an MD player myself, although I may rectify that soon.  A mate of mine who was helping out in the studio has the recording and may transfer it to CD for me.  If it sounds ok then I'll ask permission from Gerard and if he gives the ok then I'll either arrange for someone (volunteer?) to make it available on the net, or try and sort something else out so people who want to can hear it.

He mentioned the Folk House gig on 29th August, which is evidently just him and Paul Bradley, but didn't mention the Fiddlers gig in December, despite me giving him plenty of opportunity.  Could be that it isn't fully confirmed yet.

In case he ever looks - thanks Gerard - it was a thoroughly enjoyable evening and hopefully we've spread the word a little further.

All the best.

PV1