List Archives

Re: Which Best of The Church

  • Subject: Re: Which Best of The Church
  • From: Ewan Milne <ewanmilne@ya...co.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 13:24:23 +0100 (BST)

Kate:

> Let us know what you think!

Well firstly, it took just 6 days from ordering to delivery - not
bad going from Australia to Britain. I recommend Whammo (I sound
like a soap powder ad...).

I've just had time for one listen so far, but I'm quietly impressed.
At first I thought they were a bit rawk for my tastes, but either I
got more tuned in as the CD went on, or else I just liked them
better as they went on (I haven't checked if the tracks are in
chronological order). Anyway, tracks towards the end like Ripple and
Texas Moon I liked immediately, and I can tell there are enough hooks
in all the songs that I'm sure after a couple more listens I'll
have a bunch of the others stuck in my head. Again, thanks for
the recommendation.

One that stood out is 'Welcome', for no other reason than it's
resemblance to The Beloved's 'Hello'. I don't know why, I'm a
sucker for these sort of list/rolecall type of songs. Prince
Philip, though? Bleargh.....still not a patch, I'm afraid, on
my favourite of this sub-genre, A House's "Endless Art"

(Tenuous Planes connection, seeing as this is such a long
ramble: I saw A House, along with Sleeper, supporting the
Planes in Cambridge, circa 93. This was just after one of
the regular line-up upheavals, and I remember wondering
who all these geezers were alongside Gerard, Rodney &
Wojtek....)