List Archives

I wanted to share some groups with other Blue Aeroplanes members

  • Subject: I wanted to share some groups with other Blue Aeroplanes members
  • From: <Poochrec1@ao...com>
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 12:50:47 -0700

Lime Spiders - The Cave comes alive!  1987 Virgin CMJ #11 for the year

   Great debut album from this Australian pop group coming from a time
when
the Hoodoo Gurus were considered sheik.

Three 0' Clock - Arrive Without Traveling   1985 IRS CMJ #12

   This California pop group comes from the Parsley Underground scene
driving
by groups such as Game Theory, REM, Translator, Guadilcanal Diary, Let's
Active, Love Tractor etc.

The WoodenTops - Giant   Rough Trade/Columbia 1986 CMJ #21

   What a great album!  This album is funky like Parliament, jangly like
the
Smiths and as British as the British invasion of the 60's.  A must buy!

Railway Children - Recurrence   Virgin 1988 #12 CMJ

   At one time this band was considered to have made the running match
with
REM, but they lost the race.  Their jangley sound and unconventional pop
approach was an impediment for their success.  If they only put this out
in
83?

Mighty Lemon Drops - World Without End 1988 CMJ #19

   What a great record; this C-86 band was actuated on groups such as
Care,
Chameleons UK and Teardrops Explode.  This has to be the most cohesive
sounding album of the 80's, (the 1st wave of Britpop as we know it today).

The Primitive - lovely CMJ #7

   Forget The Cardigans, and well, um Six Pence None The Richer?  This was
the most vigorous group for it's time.  This band would have been a
success
if management didn't screw them over, (oh well that's the business).  This
girl had racy style.
Hint - Morrissey even wore the T-shirt.

Cactus World News -Urban Beach 1986 CMJ #19

  Probably the most underrated band in the 80's; this Irish quartet had
one
album and disappeared.  Where did you go?

The Godfathers -Birth, School, Work, Death 1988 CMJ #10

   What a perfect description; I think I'll go hang myself now, but not
before I put my Godfathers CD in the play deck.  These guys opened for
Love
And Rockets, (how appropriate).  Better yet, I think I'll go cut my arms
with
a rusty knife.  A great band; these guys really did rock!

Soup Dragons - Hang Ten! 1987 Sire

   I bet a lot of people didn't know that this band was actually good
once.
Pure cohesive Buzzcocks oriented pop; you would actually get nonplused by
listening to it!

   These guys were the for runners of the C-86 scene in the late 80's with
the likes of Primal Scream, Shop Assistants, Mighty Lemon Drops, Wedding
Present, Talulah Gosh etc.  A must Buy!

Randy P. Wolpin
Editor/Writer

If there are any CD's you would like me to mention, let me know.

---
The Blue Aeroplanes mailing list.