List Archives

Trucking Great

  • Subject: Trucking Great
  • From: "Jof Powell" <jof@ya...com>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 09:16:12 -0700
  • Cc: <u1en@ya...com>

Blue Aeroplanes at Truck 2000, Steventon, Oxon - 23rd July 2000

It was great to see them again after six years - I'd been somewhat
concerned after reviews of the tour earlier this year that they'd be
showing their age - but as they arrived on stage at 7.30pm hot from
Womad and blasted into Broken and Mended they blew away any doubts that
I might have had.  It was a storming set, though all too brief.  They
played:

Broken and Mended
Cowardice and Caprice
Roof
Fun
Jacket Hangs
Surreal
Weightless
...And Stones
Yr Own World
Breaking in Your Heart

and on my ragged copy of the setlist were also Cavaliers and Spitting,
but crossed out so presumably this was a slightly abbreviated version
of the set they played at Womad.  I didn't know Roof or Surreal, so I
guess that those are new songs.  Liked the banjo on ...And Stones.
They were on top form, noisy and frenetic (possibly to the detriment of
a gentler song like Weightless), but made for a gloriously shambolic
Breaking in Your Heart with eleven people on stage, seven of whom were
on guitar.

As I said it was great, and got things going a bit after an afternoon
sitting in a field.  Ah, now when's the next album and tour due....?

Jof

PS. Hopefully I'll be able to show you some pictures soon...

=====