List Archives

Re: Fleeced

  • Subject: Re: Fleeced
  • From: "Paul Vearncombe" <paul.vearncombe@bt...com>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 10:46:07 -0700

Weird Shit is all old stuff but very little which has appeared elsewhere.
There's an early version of "Jacket Hangs", acoustic "Love Come Round",
"Gunslinger" with nothing but drums, "Mean Time" which is "Yr Own World"
with different lyrics and more swing, and a scary verion of "Roundheads".
Apart from that it's all obscure unreleased out takes.

"A Tree Full of Starlings" is a new song for inclusion on the new album.
"Art Star", I agree, is fantastic and now one of my favourite songs ever
by
anyone.  Everytime I hear it I end up grinning like an idiot.  It's just
perfect.  To my horror Gerard says he is not sure if it will make it onto
the album because of the wealth of material being written at the moment.
But he says it will be released at some stage.  I must admit I did try
twisting his arm over this one - it's an obvious pop single which would
certainly reach number 168 in the charts if it was ever released.  And it
always gets the crowd going, which says a lot for a new song which has
never
been released.

Going back to those starlings for a moment, the title did remind me of
"Cavaliers".  But I was even more surprised the other day when I picked up
copy of the "Spitting Out Miracles" EP and found, etched on the vinyl in
the
run-out groove the words "an exultation of larks".  And that was 1988.
How
trainspotterish is that?!

Sorry to hear about the shirt - I think I remember it from the Roadmender
gig so it will be sorely missed!

PV