List Archives

Hazel Winter / Soft Boys

  • Subject: Hazel Winter / Soft Boys
  • From: "Paul Vallis" <paul@bo...madasafish.com>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 17:26:05 -0700

The Doc has found as good a summary of the Soft Boys as I've come across.
must admit I only noticed the Hitchcock/Aeros Tim Keegan connection
recently, having been a fan of both for many years.  I never saw them as
the
Soft Boys (too young!  No really), but kknowing their stuff and having
seen
Robyn several times all I can say is go - its potentially the gig of the
year.

Ok, Kim does look a bit like a muppet on stage, he's got a
Brian-Jones-wired-to-the-mains hairdo and is four foot nothing with his
hands in the air, but he is a damn fine guitarist and great foil both
musically and vocally for Hitchcock.  And Taco Pip - Ok, Katrina and the
Waves weren't the coolest band in the world, but try not smiling when
Walking on Sunshine comes on the radio.

Kate - the Hazel Winter album - try her website www.hazelwinter.co.uk
which
has mail order details (not sure if there is anything from abroad), or you
could e-mail her (link on the website) to ask her if anyone has it to
order
and she might know.  I swear I've seen it somewhere but can't remember
where.  If you do e-mail her, tell her Paul from Infinite Monkeys sent
you.
We were recording a demo late last year at Unit 3 in Bristol and she was
rehearsing in one of the other rooms and we had a chat.  I'd just bought
her
album at a gig she'd done the previous week, but she was feeling a bit
down
as the first magazine review it had had (Wire I think) slated it.  I
disagreed, as the disc hadn't left my player all week.  But if you're
expecting it to sound like the Aeros, you'll be surprised!  If you have
trouble finding it, give me another shout, as I say, I swear I've seen it
somewhere on the net.

Paul